Come listen to living prophets

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Choices

Challenge #2 on This Is Me Challenge is the question: What are some choices in your life that affected where you are now?

There are several choices I have made that have had a huge impact on my life:


  • Studying Spanish.  I have always had a strong desire to study other languages.  When I was in 4th grade a girl moved into my class who didn't speak any English.  One day at recess we started playing together and we just seemed to be able to communicate even though we didn't speak the same language.  My teacher picked up on that and assigned me to help her with her English.  She was to teach me Spanish in return.  This sparked my interest in other languages.  I wanted to learn French, but when I started ninth grade in the Junior High the only language offered was Spanish.  From then on I grew to really love the language.  I ended up taking Spanish all four years in high school and I took every undergraduate class available in college.  I even ended up serving a Spanish speaking mission.  It's interesting to me that ever since I graduated from college, every job I have been offered has been because I speak Spanish.
  • Going to Ricks College.  This was a wonderful time for me.  I loved all of my classes and I loved the atmosphere.  I also got to know a great group of friends whose influence is still with me today.  
  • Serving a mission.  I think this has been the decision that has had the most profound impact on my life.  I learned that the world is much bigger than what I knew in my little hometown.  I met amazing people who taught me a lot through their humble examples.  I learned the gospel in a way that I had never known and I grew to love the scriptures.  I think one of the reasons I was sent to Paraguay was because of my mission president.  From him I learned about hard work.  I also learned about grace and the part it plays in my relationship with Jesus Christ.  He also taught me that the gospel teaches repentance and forgiveness and to never give up on people.
  • Attending BYU.  When I started at BYU I went to the employment center and was given a job as a custodian in the Smith Family Living Center.  I had an amazing boss who expected our best work and did her best to make it fun.  Through this job I met my two best friends, Shalyce and Liesl.  These two women have always been there for me and helped me through many a hard day.  We have also traveled the world together and done lots of other fun things.  I'm so glad to have them in my life!
  • Becoming a teacher.  My little students are the light of my life.  I love seeing them every day and watching the wheels turn in their heads.  They make me laugh and they teach me things, too.  I love that have been able to live among them here.  My first group of students that I ever taught are adults now, but I don't really know what has happened in their lives.  It's fun to watch the students here as they grow up and develop talents.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy I found your blog!! I miss you so much! I'm glad I went to BYU and became a custodian at the SFLC so I could meet you and Shalyce too!!

    ReplyDelete